This research was undertaken by Central Queensland University over two years.
The key research question that this study answers is: "Do jackpots and linked jackpots increase the likelihood of risky gambling behaviour and gambling related harm, and to what extent do jackpots enhance the player experience?"
The researcher used two methodologies:
- lab-based experiments that simulated features of common types of jackpots; and
- an-invenue shadowing study whereby the researchers followed and recorded the play of volunteer EGM gamblers
The report found
- EGM jackpots have a demonstrable influence on intensification of player behaviour
- high level jackpot machines intensify betting behaviour and are differentially attractive to at risk players
- little evidence for large differences in enjoyment based on the jackpot features of machines.